Surfing is a sport where someone uses a board to ride ocean waves. In recent years, experts are finding that surf therapy improves both adolescents’ physical and psychosocial health. If a young adult in your life loves water and needs an outlet to help support their substance use or mental health disorder treatment, why not try a surf therapy program?
At Destinations for Teens, we provide surf therapy for young adults. Like other therapeutic programs, surf therapy for addiction and mental health treatment has proven beneficial as it teaches young adults to trust themselves as they transition into adulthood.
What Is Surf Therapy?
When someone is recovering from a substance use disorder, they need to find balance in their lives. They also need to be able to learn to confront challenges that may come their way. In surf therapy for addiction, participants will learn how to ride waves on a surfboard and, in turn, consider how to navigate life’s challenges. Teens will work to confront their emotional triggers and then deal with them with the help of therapists. The therapists will help teens process the feelings they are attempting to process, including the fear of failure, disappointment, abandonment, and neglect that they may feel in their lives.
What Are the Benefits of Surf Therapy for Addiction Treatment?
Have you ever thought of how powerful people feel when they can swim? Surfing is no different. When teens feel confident enough to navigate deep waters, they will believe in their ability to do so much more in their lives. There are many advantages in participating in surf therapy. Here are a few reasons that surf therapy in Los Angeles is so popular amongst teens in residential treatment programs:
- Enhances mindfulness – When teens surf, they must concentrate while balancing on the surfboard and becoming one with the water. When they are present in the moment, they can let go of any shame, fears, failures, or guilt associated with their past.
- Promotes self-sufficiency – Surfing teaches teens how to trust themselves to survive in deep ocean waters. When teens can master surfing, they will realize that they can meet other challenges in their lives head-on.
- Reduces cravings associated with substances – Surfing provides riders with an adrenaline rush to help them forget all about drugs or alcohol. Surf therapy will fulfill the need for adventure and thrills that many teens turn to substances to find. In addition, surf therapy for teens provides them with a true feeling of achievement.
- Supports healthy choices – Exercise programs, including surfing, provide a great mental outlet and encourage healthy physical activity.
- Leads to restful sleep – Water sports like surfing provide participants with a great workout that will leave them exhausted. As a result, they will be able to sleep easily.
Participate in a Surf Therapy in Los Angeles at Destinations for Teens
If your teen is struggling with substance use or mental health disorder, Destinations for Teens is here to help. Our treatment centers are structured to meet the needs of young adults.
Throughout Southern California, we consistently empower our young adults to overcome the various challenges in their lives. We can help in the following ways:
- Creative therapy programs such as surf therapy for teens, art therapy, photography therapy, and yoga
- Traditional methods including individual and group counseling sessions
- Treatments that support teens in making healthy decisions once they are home with their families.
Contact us today at 877.466.0620 if your teen needs a nurturing environment that will hold them accountable. Our residential, telehealth, and outpatient treatment options will provide the support necessary to navigate rehabilitation, recovery, and long-term sobriety.