Teens facing substance addiction are faced with several challenges. First, they are still navigating young adulthood, and secondly, they are dealing with mental health issues and addiction. An outpatient rehab program will provide teens with the opportunity to continue their daily routine while receiving comprehensive therapy. According to a 2017 report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, only around 8% of U.S. teens in need of substance use disorder treatment were able to obtain it.
Destinations for Teens outpatient drug rehab programs assist young people struggling with substance use problems with a structured plan that will provide them with supportive tools. Call 877.466.0620 to find out if an outpatient drug rehab program is right for your teen.
What Is An Outpatient Treatment Center?
A teen outpatient treatment center allows young adults to receive help in managing their mental health and behavioral challenges. Teens participating in an outpatient treatment center can still attend school, participate in structured extracurricular activities and work while also attending therapy through a facility such as Destinations for Teens.
How Can Teens Benefit From Outpatient Treatment Centers?
There are many advantages to participating in an outpatient treatment program. Teens enrolled in an outpatient program are able to feel empowered by the process of remaining in control of their daily lives while confronting their challenges. If you are considering an outpatient treatment center for your teen, review these benefits below:
- Comprehensive therapy: While teens will be able to remain home and maintain their familial obligations, they will also be able to participate in individual and group therapy sessions that will help them identify and manage their triggers.
- Family involvement: Unlike a residential program where families drop off their teen and pick them up after a specific time period, familial involvement is expected in outpatient treatment. Part of the philosophy of a teen outpatient treatment program is that family involvement is important to helping teens navigate their addiction or mental health challenges. Family members are coached to support their teen and even attend scheduled therapy sessions.
- Community support: Once a teen’s outpatient program is complete, they are still part of Destinations for Teens’ community. Community programming offers extended support to teens, helping them avoid relapses.
Disadvantages of a Teen Outpatient Treatment Center
Although teen outpatient treatment centers provide young adults with the opportunity to remain at home with their families and still attend school, there are some drawbacks. If you are considering an outpatient drug rehab program for your teen, consider these points:
- There is no medical detox. Withdrawing from drugs or alcohol is no easy feat. The body is adjusting to life without a dependent substance. Beginning a drug treatment program requires a high level of care to allow the body to adjust safely. Medical detoxification assists in this process. However, it is not available to outpatients.
- No 24-hour supervision. Inpatient or residential treatment options provide teens in recovery with around-the-clock care in a stable, supportive environment. If your teen is exhibiting erratic behavior and is a danger to themselves, outpatient treatment is not the best option.
- Family involvement is necessary. For outpatient programming to truly be successful, a supportive family needs to be present. Everyone in your family will need to be emotionally and physically available to help their teen make lasting changes in their lives. If your family is not available for group therapy sessions or to support a young adult daily, an outpatient program might not be the best option for your family.
Destinations for Teens Can Help Your Family Heal
Your teen needs your love and support as they overcome their challenges with substance use disorder An outpatient treatment center provides your family with the opportunity to give attention and care to your teen while they remain home.
Destinations for Teens provides life-changing treatment programming for adolescents in need. Whether your teen needs an outpatient or residential treatment program, we are here to help your family. Call Destinations for Teens today at 877.466.0620 to learn about our teen treatment centers.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 2017. Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: Results from the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (HHS Publication No. SMA 17-5044, NSDUH Series H-52). Rockville (MD): Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Retrieved from https://www.samhsa.gov/data/