Marijuana use is increasing among teens, and it’s important to understand the risks. While marijuana isn’t considered as addictive as other substances, some people may still develop an addiction to this increasingly legal substance.
If you or a loved one are struggling with dependence on marijuana, there is help available—contact Destinations for Teens at 877.466.0620 to learn more about our teen marijuana addiction treatment programs.
Signs a Teen is Addicted to Marijuana
The symptoms of marijuana addiction can vary from person to person. Common signs include:
- Spending a lot of time using marijuana or thinking about using it
- Not being able to stop using marijuana despite wanting to do so
- Neglecting activities and responsibilities in favor of using marijuana
- Struggling to keep a job or maintain relationships due to the use of marijuana
- Experiencing physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms after stopping use
- Using marijuana in dangerous or illegal situations
If these signs sound familiar, talk to someone you trust about getting help. Weed addiction is more common than people think—you’re not alone.
Dangers of Weed Addiction
Marijuana use can come with various dangerous health effects, especially in teens. Marijuana addiction is associated with an increased risk for anxiety, depression, and other mental illness. Additionally, smoking marijuana regularly can lead to respiratory problems and cardiovascular issues. Some long-term effects of weed addiction include:
- Learning and memory problems
- Significant respiratory issues
- Decreased motivation and focus
- Risk of developing other addictions
- Negative impacts on relationships
It’s important to note that marijuana can also be addictive psychologically—it can become something teens turn to as a coping mechanism when feeling overwhelmed. If marijuana use affects your child’s life in any way, it’s essential to seek help immediately.
Reasons Teens Get Addicted to Marijuana
Many different factors can contribute to a teen becoming addicted to marijuana. These include:
- Peer pressure—the desire to fit in and do what everyone else is doing
- Stress—using marijuana as a coping mechanism for stress or anxiety or coping with a traumatic experience or experiences
- Curiosity—wanting to try something new, even if it is potentially dangerous
- Accessibility—the ease of getting marijuana, especially as it continues to become more legally available
- Boredom—when teens don’t have anything else going on in their lives, they may turn to marijuana as a way to pass the time
- Self-medicating—this could be for chronic pain, mental health conditions, or any combination of the two
These are all potential reasons why a teen may become addicted to marijuana. If your child is struggling with weed addiction, it’s essential to understand the underlying cause so you can provide them with the help they need.
No matter the reason for using marijuana, seeking help is the best way to overcome an addiction. At Destinations for Teens, our teen marijuana addiction treatment program provides comprehensive care to help teens get their lives back on track and find freedom from weed addiction. Contact us today at 877.466.0620 for more information about how we can help.
Treatment for Marijuana Addiction at Destinations for Teens in California
At Destinations for Teens, we offer a comprehensive teen marijuana addiction treatment program designed to help our clients heal from the effects of substance abuse. Our personalized approach to treatment focuses on both the physical and psychological aspects of addiction, helping teens learn how to manage their cravings and live healthy lifestyles.
We offer programs from inpatient to outpatient levels of care. Our experienced clinicians use evidence-based therapies such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), mindfulness meditation, and motivational interviewing (MI) to help our clients develop the skills they need to maintain sobriety in the long term.
We also provide family education and counseling. We understand that addiction affects everyone in the family, so we strive to help create an environment of healing and understanding. Our team is here to support you every step of the way as you take on this difficult journey together.
Contact us at 877.466.0620 to get started today.