It’s no secret that teens abuse alcohol. Unfortunately, the consequences of this kind of misuse can be devastating. That’s why it’s essential to understand the factors that contribute to teen alcohol abuse so we can help our adolescents avoid its dangers. Teen alcohol abuse can lead to many risks, including developing substance use disorders, dangerous accidents, and losing precious years. If a teen you love needs a teen alcohol addiction program, contact 877.466.0620 today.
What Causes Teen Alcohol Abuse?
There are several reasons why teens abuse alcohol. Peer pressure is a significant factor, as they often feel the need to fit in with their peers. Other contributing factors may include family issues, such as stress or mental health problems; easy access to alcohol; the desire to experiment; and even boredom. Some of the main reasons alcohol abuse in teens develops include:
- Self-medication — Teens may use alcohol to cope with mental health issues like depression or anxiety. They may also use it to cope with physical illness or chronic pain.
- Psychological dependence — Teens may become psychologically dependent on alcohol if it makes them feel better about themselves or helps them cope.
- Impulsivity and risk-taking — Teens are far more likely than adults to take risks, including abusing substances. This could also be the beginning signs of a condition like bipolar disorder or a side-effect of conditions like autism or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
It’s also essential for parents and guardians to understand that adolescents living in certain environments may be more at risk for developing an alcohol use disorder. These include neighborhoods with a lot of poverty or crime, if the teen has access to substances like alcohol through a wealthy family, or if the teenager has experienced trauma, abuse, or neglect in their home.
Signs of Teen Alcohol Abuse
It can be challenging to know whether your teen is abusing alcohol. If you are concerned that your teen may be at risk for alcohol abuse, there are some signs and symptoms you should look out for. These can include:
- Changes in behavior, such as aggression, irritability, or depression
- Poor academic performance
- Loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy
- Engaging in risky behaviors like driving while intoxicated
- Lying or sneaking around with friends
- Hiding alcohol in their room
If you suspect that a teen you love is abusing alcohol, it’s essential to act quickly. Teens can be helped with specialized teen alcohol addiction treatment, but they need the correct type of help to recover.
Getting Help for Teen Alcohol Abuse
If your teen is struggling with an alcohol use disorder, it’s important to seek help right away. Destinations for Teens provides comprehensive treatment and support services to help teens address their substance use issues in a safe and caring environment. Some common treatment regiments that can help teens struggling with alcohol use include:
- Individual counseling: In this setting, teens learn how to identify and address the underlying issues that cause their substance abuse and develop healthy coping strategies.
- Group therapy: Group therapy is a helpful way for teens to connect with peers experiencing similar struggles and share their stories. It’s also an opportunity for teens to gain support from one another.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy: This therapy helps teens change how they think and act, so they can make better choices and avoid drinking.
- Medication-assisted treatment: This approach combines medication with counseling to help teens cope with physical symptoms of withdrawal.
If you are concerned that a teen you love is struggling with alcohol abuse, please don’t hesitate to ask for help. Contact Destinations for Teens today to learn more about our teen alcohol addiction program and how we can help your loved one get back on track.
Contact Destinations for Teens for Teen Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Our evidence-based treatment programs specialize in helping teens overcome alcohol abuse. We offer individual counseling, group therapy, family support services, and other holistic care options to help teens heal physically, mentally, and emotionally. We aim to help our young clients become empowered with the skills to lead a healthy and prosperous life. Don’t let alcohol misuse be a barrier to your teen’s success. Contact Destinations for Teens today at 877.466.0620 for more information about our teen alcohol addiction program and how we can help your loved one get back on track.